Gooseberries, By Anton Chekhov (1898) - Happiness and the Goal of the Life

Gooseberries, By Anton Chekhov (1898)


Rating: 8/10



In Gooseberries, Ivan talks about happiness through his brother Nikolai’s story. I always have thought that the goal of our life is happiness. I thought that things like money, honor, and love can be small goals in life but they are just meant to reach happiness and the final goal is to be happy. However, Ivan says that happiness does not exist and when we become happy, the meaning and the goal of life disappear. Ivan’s view was chaos to me. If happiness does not exist, what do we live for? Is happiness really just satisfaction? Is happiness really just being buried in the present situation? Then do we need to attempt something constantly and never be satisfied with something?


Chekhov’s short stories always make the readers think deeply about life. The Lady with the Dog made me think about true love and adultery, and Gooseberries made me think about happiness and the goal of our life. I do not know the clear answer to those questions yet, but I think the time I spent thinking about them was meaningful in itself. (182 words)





댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

The Boarding House, By James Joyce (1914) - Paralysis

The Lady with the Dog, By Anton Chekhov (1899) - Adultery and the Opened Ending